vseprosto90211

all messages by user

2/5/2020
Topic:
Question about table saws.

James Riley
James Riley
Honestly speaking, I'm a supporter of the track saws. Unlike the table saw, the track saw is designed to be portable and easy to use, which I consider a benefit. Check out Festool 575387, it is considered to be a track saw for beginners in woodworking.
2/16/2020
Topic:
How to Create Project Illustrations

James Riley
James Riley
Build Something wrote:
The illustrations you see in our Certified plans are created using a program called SketchUp. You can do the same, too, because there’s a free version called SketchUp Make available, which you can download here.

SketchUp Make does nearly everything that the SketchUp Pro version we use does. You can model almost anything you can imagine in 3D, and then create view models with callouts, dimensions, etc. DIYers, woodworkers, and even architects use SketchUp to create everything from simple boxes to entire buildings with landscapes.

Of course, you’ll have to learn how to use the program, but there are lots of tutorials online. Since it’s free, you have nothing to lose by downloading a copy and playing around. It’s a great way to design your own projects; perfect for creating project plans that you’d like to post here on buildsomething.com

Charlotte Griffin wrote:
Love the project illustrations here. How are they made?

Wooow, thank you so much! This program is a real life-saver! I hope I figure it out and my projects would look more graphic and clear. I've already found a couple of tutorials on youtube. Hope I cope with this program.
edited by vseprosto90211 on 2/16/2020
2/16/2020
Topic:
How do I make pine look better?

James Riley
James Riley
I also built some projects using pine recently. I'll defer to your advice, guys! Thanks.
2/16/2020
Topic:
Break Out the Iron for Perfect Plywood Projects

James Riley
James Riley
roy palmer wrote:
Build Something wrote:
Love building with plywood but hate those unfinished edges? Cover them up with simple iron-on edge banding. It costs less than $10 per roll, and is super easy to use, since the adhesive is already applied.

Just cut a piece to rough length, use a hot iron to activate the adhesive, and then trim the banding to final width and length. You can use a special trimming tool, or just grab a sharp utility knife. Lightly sand the cut edges smooth, and you’ll have great-looking projects with no exposed plywood edges.

Put your new knowledge to use by building yourself an Entryway Bench or Floating Display Shelf. Both of these projects utilize iron-on edgebanding to cover the exposed plywood edges.

Happy Building!
The BuildSomething Team
edited by buildsomething on 1/26/2016

Wow, it's a real life hack! Never thought about this method before. It turns out really cost effective and super easy!